Centre asks Modi govt to ensure Bhatt’s security
New Delhi: In a move that will surely lead to another Congress-BJP spat, the Home Ministry on Tuesday decided to take up the matter of suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt who is currently lodged in Sabarmati Jail in Gujarat.
A day after Bhatt’s wife Shweta wrote a letter to Home Minister P Chidambaram stating that he apprehends danger to his life from a "vindictive administration", the Union Home Ministry wrote to the Gujarat government asking it to ensure adequate security to the jailed IPS officer and his family.
According to highly placed sources, the Centre has also decided to conduct an independent assessment of threat perception to Bhatt and his family.
In her letter, Shweta had written, "Sanjiv has strong apprehension of being physically ill-treated and danger to his life. We are in potential danger from a vindictive administration."
"My husband has been victimised and arrested merely because a few politicians apprehended serious action against them because of the evidence Sanjiv is likely to give in the pending criminal cases," Shweta further said in the letter.
"I want the Central government to ensure safety of my husband and his dignity should also be restored," she told reporters after writing the letter.
"All that my husband has done (that has upset the state administration) is that he has done his duty as he is an officer of Indian Police Service" she said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!