Centre asks states to ready contingency plan for water supply
New Delhi: The Centre has asked the states to prepare a contingency plan on drinking water supply as it moves to deal with the drought-like situation in the country arising out of a deficit monsoon this year.
The Centre`s directive comes amidst reports of acute water shortage in many parts of the country due to the deficient rainfall in the wet season.
According to a private forecasting agency, the national cumulative average for rainfall in June is deficient by a whopping 42 per cent, making it only the 12th instance in the past 113 years when the shortfall has been over 30 per cent in the month.
States like Gujarat and Rajasthan are facing an over 80 per cent rainfall deficit.
A senior official in the Drinking Water and Sanitation Ministry said that the government was monitoring the water supply situation in the states "very closely".
"Now, it has been decided that the State Water Supply Contingency Plan as well as the District Water Supply Contingency Plans for each state must be uploaded on the website of the Drinking Water and Sanitation Ministry," the official said.
These plans will be available in the public domain, he added. Centre has urged the states to give this objective the "top priority".
As per Ministry data, nearly 90 per cent of the rural water supply comes from groundwater sources which, for recharge, depend on rainfall, canals, surface water bodies, irrigated fields, water conservation structures, etc.
Data released by World Bank states that India is the largest consumer of groundwater in the world with an estimated usage of 230 km3 per year.
Approximately 60 per cent of the demand for agriculture and irrigation and 80 per cent of domestic water needs is met through groundwater, says World Bank.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM