Centre assures on women Army officers` salary plea
New Delhi: The Centre on Thursday gave an
undertaking in the Supreme Court that it would disburse the
salaries of six short commissioned women army officers whose
services were sought to be released by the authorities.
Additional Solicitor General Parag Tripathi gave the
undertaking before a bench of justices JM Panchal and HL
Gokhale which sought government`s response on the aggrieved
women officers`s complaint that the authorities were refusing
to pay their salaries.
Counsel Meenakshi Lekhi told the bench that the officials
were refusing to pay the salaries for over six months despite
the fact that the apex court had earlier stayed the government
orders to release them from service.
On March 4, the apex court had stayed the release orders
from service and rapped the government for the action saying
contempt proceedings can be initiated since the case
pertaining to their permanent commission is pending before it.
The bench had taken strong exception to he release orders
issued by the Army authorities for the six officers of the
rank of Lieutenant Colonel when the matter is pending before
The court had said that it had not stayed the Delhi High
Court order which had asked Defence forces to grant permanent
commission to the women officers.
The petitioners - Lt Colonels- Sony Sharma, Sini Marc,
Ritcha Sagar, Navneet Duggal, Majors Vaneeta Dhaka and Anjali
Bisht--had complained that they are being targeted by the
government for approaching the court for permanent
commission for them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read