Centre confident of passing Lokpal Bill in Rajya Sabha on Monday
Chennai: With BJP promising support "even without discussion" on the Lokpal Bill, Centre on Sunday expressed confidence that the legislation will be passed in the Rajya Sabha tomorrow.
Union Minister of State for Personnel V Narayanasamy, who had moved the amended Lokpal and Lokayuktas Bill-2011 in the Upper House of the Parliament on Friday, recalled that no debate was possible then due to repeated adjournments.
He said Congress and its allies and BJP had supported the Bill even as Mulayam Singh Yadav`s SP, which provides outside support to the UPA government, has made its opposition clear.
"Chances are high that the Bill will be passed in the Rajya Sabha tomorrow," Narayansamy told reporters at airport here.
Seeking to give a big push to the Lokpal Bill, Rahul Gandhi had appealed to all political parties to support the legislation as it was a "very very powerful instrument" in the fight against corruption.
Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, Arun Jaitley had said his party was ready to support Lokpal even without a discussion even as he alleged that Congress and its allies were blocking the passage of the legislation.
The amended bill delinks setting up of Lokayuktas in states, a highly controversial provision because of which many parties had opposed it in the House in December last year.
The new bill also grants powers to ombudsman to sanction prosecution against public servants.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends