Centre could not act during Babri incident sans Guv nod: Cong
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday sought to give
a clean chit to former Prime Minister P V Narasimha Rao for
any culpability in the demolition of Babri Masjid and squarely
held the BJP and its sister organisations responsible for it.
"The matter was being monitored (by Supreme Court) and
there were constitutional implications (for Centre`s
intervention)," party spokesperson Jayanthi Natarajan told
reporters, adding, any action on part of the then Central
government was not possible without the Governor`s report.
To a query about the culpability of the Centre and
Rao, the spokesperson said 17 years had passed and he (Rao)
was not longer there to answer what decision he took at that
point of time. "There is an implication (constitutional)
involved. These facts are well known," she said.
Charging the BJP for the demolition, she said it was
the "saddest day of Indian history" and the BJP along with its
sister organisations was responsible for those who were near
Asked why was clean chit given to Rao by the Liberhan
Commission even as former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee
was named in the report, Natarajan said, "this question should
be addressed to the Commission".
To a question whether the recommendations of the
Commission will be handed over to the CBI for further action,
she said, "whatever process of law has to be followed
consequent to tabling of the report, will be followed".
Putting Vajpayee in the dock, she said that a day
before the structure came down, he had made a speech that the
place (the disputed structure) was filled with sharp stones
and needs to be cleaned before a temple is constructed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack