Centre decided to honour Mir with Padma award: Farooq
R S Pura (Jammu): Maintaining that he had
recommended the name of Gulam Mohmmad Mir for the Padma award
because of his contribution to counter insurgency in the
state, National Conference President and Union Minister Farooq
Abdullah on Sunday said it was the Centre that decided to honour
"I did recommend him (Mir) for the Padma award. I have
recommended various other names. But it is the committee at
the Home Ministry that has decided it," the Union Minister for
New and Rewable Energy told reporters soon after launching the
party`s membership drive from this border town.
Praising Mir`s role in countering insurgency in the
state, Abdullah said his contribution could not be ignored.
Asked why former Chief Minister and his father Sheikh
Abdullah was not given such an award, he said, "Please keep
Gandhi Ji and Sheikh Sahib out of it. They worked for the
nation and not for the awards."
Terming the recent death of a boy in alleged action by
the security forces in Srinagar as unfortunate, he recommended
strong action against those involved in the incident.
"Omar (Chief Minister, Jammu and Kashmir) has taken up
the issue with Home Ministry for central help in the case", he
To a question on increasing incidents of stone-pelting
in Srinagar, he said it is being funded to disturb peace and
tranquility in Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi