Centre decided to honour Mir with Padma award: Farooq
R S Pura (Jammu): Maintaining that he had
recommended the name of Gulam Mohmmad Mir for the Padma award
because of his contribution to counter insurgency in the
state, National Conference President and Union Minister Farooq
Abdullah on Sunday said it was the Centre that decided to honour
"I did recommend him (Mir) for the Padma award. I have
recommended various other names. But it is the committee at
the Home Ministry that has decided it," the Union Minister for
New and Rewable Energy told reporters soon after launching the
party`s membership drive from this border town.
Praising Mir`s role in countering insurgency in the
state, Abdullah said his contribution could not be ignored.
Asked why former Chief Minister and his father Sheikh
Abdullah was not given such an award, he said, "Please keep
Gandhi Ji and Sheikh Sahib out of it. They worked for the
nation and not for the awards."
Terming the recent death of a boy in alleged action by
the security forces in Srinagar as unfortunate, he recommended
strong action against those involved in the incident.
"Omar (Chief Minister, Jammu and Kashmir) has taken up
the issue with Home Ministry for central help in the case", he
To a question on increasing incidents of stone-pelting
in Srinagar, he said it is being funded to disturb peace and
tranquility in Kashmir.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened