Centre dispatches flood relief to affected states
New Delhi: In view of the grim flood
situation in Orissa, Bihar and Assam, the Home Ministry has
dispatched helicopters, boats and special force personnel to
the affected areas for rescue and relief operations.
"The Home Ministry is closely monitoring the situation
and is in constant touch with the state governments for
extending assistance as may be required by them," an official
In response to the flood situation in Orissa, which has
reportedly affected a population of 8.60 lakh in 19 districts,
the Centre has coordinated the deployment of three helicopters
for rescue and relief operations.
On the request of the state government four teams of
National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) comprising 125
personnel along with 25 boats have been deployed at
Kendrapara, Delanga, Pipli and Jajpur for rescue and relief
activities. The teams have so far rescued 135 people.
The Orissa government has opened 275 relief camps and 17
In Bihar, floods have affected a population of nearly 3.5
lakh specially in the districts of Rohtas, Aurangabad,
Bhojpur, Patna and Arwal and the Home Ministry has coordinated
the deployment of helicopters for rescue and relief
operations. Eight NDRF teams comprising 212 personnel along
with 28 boats have been deployed in Bihar.
In Assam, 9.12 lakh people have been affected and five
teams of NDRF comprising 131 personnel along with 19 boats
have been deployed at Guwahati, Dhubri, Lakhimpur, Tezpur and
Dhemaji for rescue and relief operations. The breach in
National Highway 52 caused due to floods in Dhemaji has been
restored for vehicular traffic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report