Centre dispatches flood relief to affected states
New Delhi: In view of the grim flood
situation in Orissa, Bihar and Assam, the Home Ministry has
dispatched helicopters, boats and special force personnel to
the affected areas for rescue and relief operations.
"The Home Ministry is closely monitoring the situation
and is in constant touch with the state governments for
extending assistance as may be required by them," an official
In response to the flood situation in Orissa, which has
reportedly affected a population of 8.60 lakh in 19 districts,
the Centre has coordinated the deployment of three helicopters
for rescue and relief operations.
On the request of the state government four teams of
National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) comprising 125
personnel along with 25 boats have been deployed at
Kendrapara, Delanga, Pipli and Jajpur for rescue and relief
activities. The teams have so far rescued 135 people.
The Orissa government has opened 275 relief camps and 17
In Bihar, floods have affected a population of nearly 3.5
lakh specially in the districts of Rohtas, Aurangabad,
Bhojpur, Patna and Arwal and the Home Ministry has coordinated
the deployment of helicopters for rescue and relief
operations. Eight NDRF teams comprising 212 personnel along
with 28 boats have been deployed in Bihar.
In Assam, 9.12 lakh people have been affected and five
teams of NDRF comprising 131 personnel along with 19 boats
have been deployed at Guwahati, Dhubri, Lakhimpur, Tezpur and
Dhemaji for rescue and relief operations. The breach in
National Highway 52 caused due to floods in Dhemaji has been
restored for vehicular traffic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!