Centre dispatches flood relief to affected states
New Delhi: In view of the grim flood
situation in Orissa, Bihar and Assam, the Home Ministry has
dispatched helicopters, boats and special force personnel to
the affected areas for rescue and relief operations.
"The Home Ministry is closely monitoring the situation
and is in constant touch with the state governments for
extending assistance as may be required by them," an official
In response to the flood situation in Orissa, which has
reportedly affected a population of 8.60 lakh in 19 districts,
the Centre has coordinated the deployment of three helicopters
for rescue and relief operations.
On the request of the state government four teams of
National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) comprising 125
personnel along with 25 boats have been deployed at
Kendrapara, Delanga, Pipli and Jajpur for rescue and relief
activities. The teams have so far rescued 135 people.
The Orissa government has opened 275 relief camps and 17
In Bihar, floods have affected a population of nearly 3.5
lakh specially in the districts of Rohtas, Aurangabad,
Bhojpur, Patna and Arwal and the Home Ministry has coordinated
the deployment of helicopters for rescue and relief
operations. Eight NDRF teams comprising 212 personnel along
with 28 boats have been deployed in Bihar.
In Assam, 9.12 lakh people have been affected and five
teams of NDRF comprising 131 personnel along with 19 boats
have been deployed at Guwahati, Dhubri, Lakhimpur, Tezpur and
Dhemaji for rescue and relief operations. The breach in
National Highway 52 caused due to floods in Dhemaji has been
restored for vehicular traffic.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing