Centre financing schemes for sewage treatment plants: Minister
New Delhi: The Union government is impressing upon state governments and municipal bodies to incorporate rain water harvesting projects in their urban and country plans, Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said on Thursday.
Replying to supplementaries during Question Hour in Rajya Sabha, he said the Centre was persuading state government to make rain water harvesting a component of its urban planning.
"We have only advisory and persuasive role," he said.
"Though water pricing in urban areas is within the mandate of state government/urban local bodies, the Government of India has issued manuals and advisories advocating the levying of appropriate user charges and to guide states to improve water supply and sanitation services including recovery of operation and maintenance (O&M) charges," he said.
Naidu said appropriate water pricing system in urban areas and levying of user charges to recover O&M cost have been part of Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission.
The Centre is also trying to guide states on creation of proper sewage treatment facilities. It is financing scheme for sewage treatment plants, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- CBSE Class 10th Results 2016: (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) CBSE 10th result 2016, CBSE Class 10th X Results 2016, CBSE Board 10th Class results to be declared today
- Watch video: Zeus the husky throws the most priceless tantrum; refuses get off the couch!
- Five killed as boiler bursts in private chemical company in Dombivli township
- HRD Ministry directs UGC to amend regulations regarding workload of teachers
- PM Modi-led govt completes two years; Facebook tracks his journey on social media