Centre financing schemes for sewage treatment plants: Minister
New Delhi: The Union government is impressing upon state governments and municipal bodies to incorporate rain water harvesting projects in their urban and country plans, Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said on Thursday.
Replying to supplementaries during Question Hour in Rajya Sabha, he said the Centre was persuading state government to make rain water harvesting a component of its urban planning.
"We have only advisory and persuasive role," he said.
"Though water pricing in urban areas is within the mandate of state government/urban local bodies, the Government of India has issued manuals and advisories advocating the levying of appropriate user charges and to guide states to improve water supply and sanitation services including recovery of operation and maintenance (O&M) charges," he said.
Naidu said appropriate water pricing system in urban areas and levying of user charges to recover O&M cost have been part of Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission.
The Centre is also trying to guide states on creation of proper sewage treatment facilities. It is financing scheme for sewage treatment plants, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know