Centre financing schemes for sewage treatment plants: Minister
New Delhi: The Union government is impressing upon state governments and municipal bodies to incorporate rain water harvesting projects in their urban and country plans, Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu said on Thursday.
Replying to supplementaries during Question Hour in Rajya Sabha, he said the Centre was persuading state government to make rain water harvesting a component of its urban planning.
"We have only advisory and persuasive role," he said.
"Though water pricing in urban areas is within the mandate of state government/urban local bodies, the Government of India has issued manuals and advisories advocating the levying of appropriate user charges and to guide states to improve water supply and sanitation services including recovery of operation and maintenance (O&M) charges," he said.
Naidu said appropriate water pricing system in urban areas and levying of user charges to recover O&M cost have been part of Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission.
The Centre is also trying to guide states on creation of proper sewage treatment facilities. It is financing scheme for sewage treatment plants, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa