Centre gets notice over Neeraj Kumar’s appointment
New Delhi: The Centre was on Wednesday directed by the Delhi High Court to respond to a PIL challenging the appointment of Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar, alleging that he has been facing charges of power misuse and rights violations.
A division bench of Chief Justice D Murugesan and Justice Jayant Nath sought response from the Home Ministry by May 29 on a plea filed by M S Devasayam, a retired IAS officer from Chennai, seeking to quash the appointment of Kumar as Police Commissioner.
The court`s order came after Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Rajeeve Mehra appearing for the ministry said that the petitioner`s representation has been received and a decision would be taken in 15 days.
Earlier on February 27, the court had asked the former IAS officer, who had approached it, to make a representation before the home ministry and directed the ministry to decide it within eight weeks.
Devasayam on Tuesday again moved the court after expiry of eight weeks time saying the ministry has not yet taken any decision on his representation.
Seeking two weeks more time to take a decision, the ASG said, "I apologise for the delay. We have received the representation from the petitioner and decision would be taken within 15 days. I sought two more weeks to decide the representation."
According to the PIL, "the police officer is facing serious allegations of misuse and abuse of powers, fabrication of documents and violation of human rights."
Kumar, a 1976-batch Indian Police Service officer, was appointed as police commissioner of the city on June 28, 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony