Centre increases income ceiling in scholarship for ST students
New Delhi: To help ST students avail professional education, the Centre on Thursday decided to increase the total family income ceiling under its scholarship scheme from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 4.50 lakh per annum from this fiscal.
The decision was approved by the Union Cabinet today.
The central sector scholarship scheme of `top class education for ST students` had come into effect from 2007-08 for providing adequate financial support to ST students for pursuing education in selected premier institutions of the country.
"The enhancement of the ceiling of the annual total family income from all sources will enable larger number of ST students avail benefits of the scheme.
"This will also act as a major incentive for ST students pursuing higher and technical education," a government statement said.
It also said that the decision does not entail any additional burden. The expenditure on account of revision of the scheme would be met under the existing budget allocation for each year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez