Centre increases income ceiling in scholarship for ST students
New Delhi: To help ST students avail professional education, the Centre on Thursday decided to increase the total family income ceiling under its scholarship scheme from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 4.50 lakh per annum from this fiscal.
The decision was approved by the Union Cabinet today.
The central sector scholarship scheme of `top class education for ST students` had come into effect from 2007-08 for providing adequate financial support to ST students for pursuing education in selected premier institutions of the country.
"The enhancement of the ceiling of the annual total family income from all sources will enable larger number of ST students avail benefits of the scheme.
"This will also act as a major incentive for ST students pursuing higher and technical education," a government statement said.
It also said that the decision does not entail any additional burden. The expenditure on account of revision of the scheme would be met under the existing budget allocation for each year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured