Centre increases income ceiling in scholarship for ST students
New Delhi: To help ST students avail professional education, the Centre on Thursday decided to increase the total family income ceiling under its scholarship scheme from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 4.50 lakh per annum from this fiscal.
The decision was approved by the Union Cabinet today.
The central sector scholarship scheme of `top class education for ST students` had come into effect from 2007-08 for providing adequate financial support to ST students for pursuing education in selected premier institutions of the country.
"The enhancement of the ceiling of the annual total family income from all sources will enable larger number of ST students avail benefits of the scheme.
"This will also act as a major incentive for ST students pursuing higher and technical education," a government statement said.
It also said that the decision does not entail any additional burden. The expenditure on account of revision of the scheme would be met under the existing budget allocation for each year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India's NSG membership is not about arms, US tells Pakistan
- BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016 : BSEB Bihar Board Intermediate Result 2016, BSEB 12th Vocational Results to be declared at biharboard.bih.nic.in, www.biharboard.net
- US snubs Pakistan, says India's entry to nuclear club is not about arms
- Congress to hold legislature party meeting in Puducherry today, decision on CM candidate likely
- VHP president Praveen Togadia visits Bajrang Dal's 'self-defence' camp in Noida, defends arms training of activists