Centre increases income ceiling in scholarship for ST students
New Delhi: To help ST students avail professional education, the Centre on Thursday decided to increase the total family income ceiling under its scholarship scheme from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 4.50 lakh per annum from this fiscal.
The decision was approved by the Union Cabinet today.
The central sector scholarship scheme of `top class education for ST students` had come into effect from 2007-08 for providing adequate financial support to ST students for pursuing education in selected premier institutions of the country.
"The enhancement of the ceiling of the annual total family income from all sources will enable larger number of ST students avail benefits of the scheme.
"This will also act as a major incentive for ST students pursuing higher and technical education," a government statement said.
It also said that the decision does not entail any additional burden. The expenditure on account of revision of the scheme would be met under the existing budget allocation for each year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan