Centre increases income ceiling in scholarship for ST students
New Delhi: To help ST students avail professional education, the Centre on Thursday decided to increase the total family income ceiling under its scholarship scheme from Rs 2 lakh to Rs 4.50 lakh per annum from this fiscal.
The decision was approved by the Union Cabinet today.
The central sector scholarship scheme of `top class education for ST students` had come into effect from 2007-08 for providing adequate financial support to ST students for pursuing education in selected premier institutions of the country.
"The enhancement of the ceiling of the annual total family income from all sources will enable larger number of ST students avail benefits of the scheme.
"This will also act as a major incentive for ST students pursuing higher and technical education," a government statement said.
It also said that the decision does not entail any additional burden. The expenditure on account of revision of the scheme would be met under the existing budget allocation for each year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- Over 3,000 migrants dead in Mediterranean so far in 2016
- North Korea says any further nuclear test depends on US
- British Council employee under fire over Prince George remarks
- British convert to Islam 'Jihadi Jack' denies joining ISIS
- Rio Olympics: Saina Nehwal seeded 5th, PV Sindhu 9th for the 2016 Games