Centre issuing threats of engaging CBI against WB govt: Mamata
Howrah: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday accused the Centre of issuing threats of engaging CBI against the state government since Trinamool Congress quit the UPA on the issue of FDI in retail.
"They (Centre) are threatening us with CBI. There is no use of intimidating or threatening us. We had quit UPA on the single issue of FDI in retail. We will continue to oppose it," Banerjee told a rally for the June 2 Howrah Lok Sabha bypoll here.
"They (Centre) don`t like us since they are not able to make us toe their line as they do in case of others through threats of CBI or money," she alleged.
Banerjee claimed 50 of percent of the country`s population would be affected by FDI in retail.
Banerjee also reiterated her claim that the Lok Sabha elections would be held within six months and the UPA would not return to power for a third consecutive time.
Referring to the announcement of Howrah Lok Sabha by-election immediately after the death of TMC MP Ambika Banerjee, she said, "What was the hurry to announce the poll since the Lok Sabha election would be held within six months and the two elections could have been held together? Congress and CPI(M) were, however, impatient."
Asserting that her government was awaiting Presidential assent to the anti-chitfund passed by the state assembly recently, she said, "They (Centre) are delaying in giving the assent."
She said as soon as the assent is received, the land and properties of the Sarada Group would be auctioned and money returned to the defrauded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video