Centre moots Broadcasting Authority of India for TV channels
Kopargaon (Maha): The Union Government
will create the Broadcasting Authority of India (BAI) on par
with TRAI, covering TV channels and Doordarshan, Union
Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting S Jagat
Rakshakan said at Shirdi near here today.
The minister told reporters after his visit to Shri
Saibaba temple at Shirdi, that the Indian Press Act is
140-year-old and stressed the need to have amendment in the
act and a committee will be set up for the purpose.
"The UPA-led government has taken a decision to
create BAI on the lines of Telephone Regulatory Authority of
India and very soon a draft bill will be prepared," he said.
It is difficult for the government to keep a tab on TV
channels telecasting news and programmes, as there are around
532 TV channels, he said, adding, channels should desist
themselves from airing sensitive issues which may create
unrest in the society, he said.
The government-owned Doordarshan and All India Radio,
has its network all over the country including rural and
isolated sectors and government will spend Rs 5,000 crore for
the modernisation on both Doordarshan and AIR, Rakshakan said.
Around 150 FM radio and 21 DD centres will be opened
in the country soon, the minister said.
Government will sanction, if Saibaba Sansthan Trust
submits its proposal to telecast or broadcast its programmes
on the national channel, as Saibaba temple is one of the
secular Pilgrim centre of the country, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick