Centre mulling national dam safety legislation
New Delhi: With hundreds of dams across the
country being nearly half-a-century old, the Centre on Tuesday said
it was mulling a legislation for their safety.
"A legislation is required to establish an institutional
system to regularly monitor the safety of dams. We are
currently talking to state governments to get their views on
the issue and we could come up with a legislation on dam
safety," Water Resources Secretary U N Panjiyar said here.
He said while some states, including Bihar, have their
own dam safety laws, West Bengal and Andhra Pradesh have
authorised Parliament to make a law on dam safety.
"As per constitutional provisions, if two or more states
authorise Parliament to make a law on a state subject, the
Centre can pass a law," he said adding that other states can
pass a resolution in their legislatures to adopt the Central
law. Water is a state subject.
With several private players now involved in operating
dams, they would also be covered under the proposed law.
"While the Centre will carry out the overall monitoring,
states will have to set up their institutional system to
ensure dam safety," Panjiyar added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video