Centre mulls setting up mechanism on Telangana creation
New Delhi: The top brass of the Congress
party and the government on Tuesday discussed the Telangana
imbroglio amidst speculation that a mechanism may be set up
to discuss the separate state issue.
The Congress leadership, including Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi, deliberated for
an hour on the issue at a meeting of the party`s Core Group
The meeting was held even as 13 Andhra Pradesh
ministers from Telangana region rejected the advice from the
party high command to withdraw their resignations demanding a
a statement from the government on a categorical timeframe for
the formation of a separate state.
The ministers, who have sent a common resignation
letter to Gandhi, rejected the criticism that they were
"blackmailing" the party or the government and said they were
just putting forward the demands of the people of the region
Highly placed sources in the party and the government
declined to say whether the issue of a mechanism figured in
the Core Group which they said focussed on Telangana.
A couple of days back, Finance Minister Pranab
Mukherjee had told the ministers from the Telangana region
that they would soon get some good news.
There has been talk of the government coming out with
some statement in the New Year announcing the setting up of a
committee to discuss the Telangana demand with the
protagonists of the separate state or constituting a second
State Reorganization Commission.
Meanwhile, in the face of a virtual boycott by the 13 ministers from Telangana region, a meeting of
Andhra Pradesh Cabinet, scheduled to be held in Hyderabad tomorrow,
has been postponed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...