Centre mulls uniform ban on fishing off west coast in monsoon
Panaji: The Centre is contemplating imposing a uniform ban on fishing activities along the west coast during the monsoons.
Agriculture Minister Radha Mohan Singh today said he will call a meeting of Fisheries Ministers of the states concerned to discuss the proposal.
"Some States on west coast have a 45-day ban, while others have it for 60 days. There is no uniformity. Before the next monsoon season, I will meet the Fisheries Ministers so that a uniform ban period on fishing is evolved," he told reporters here.
Singh earlier had a meeting with Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar and officials from Agriculture, Horticulture and Fisheries Ministries.
Fishing during the monsoon is prohibited as it is the breeding period for fish. Goa observes two-month ban (June 1 to July 31). A uniform ban will stop intrusion into each other`s territorial waters and allow unhindered fish breeding.
Emphasising on the need to preserve marine resources and focus on aquaculture growth, Singh said the Centre is working on a plan to usher in "blue revolution".
"We have been speaking about a blue revolution. We will provide whatever facilities are required for growth of fisheries," the Minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Revealed! How Diana Penty prepped up for her character in 'Happy Bhag Jayegi' – Details inside
- No more surge pricing for Ola, Uber, others; all taxis to charge govt-set fares in Delhi from today
- Flood situation remains grim in UP, MP and Bihar; Ganga flowing above danger mark
- Grand welcome back home: PV Sindhu, Pullela Gopichand thank Telangana government for wonderful reception
- Imtiaz Ali permitted Shah Rukh Khan to upload this picture from the sets of 'The Ring'! – View inside