Centre mulls US$ 3bn fund to give education to Muslims
Guwahati: The Centre on Sunday said it will soon announce a special fund to the tune of US$ 3 billion for uplift of the Muslim people by providing infrastructure, mainly for education.
"We need infrastructure. Indian Muslims need education and for that we need infrastructure. Currently we lack in infrastructure," Union Minister for Minority Affairs K Rahman Khan said here.
"We are working on to create a fund of US$ 2-3 billion, which will be around Rs 10,000-15,000 crore. Even if only one per cent of Indian Muslims donate, we will be able to generate this amount," Khan said while delivering the keynote address during a function of American Federation of Muslims of India origin.
He said Muslim people in India have the resources but only need the mechanism to generate and manage the fund.
When asked by when the government is likely to finalise the fund, Khan said "We have been working on this for some time. Now we are going to announce it very soon."
He further said the government is taking all necessary steps to improve the conditions of the Muslims.
"The only priority of Indian Muslims is education. If you are educated, the society can be changed... Do not think that you are a minority, think that you are the second largest population in India," Khan said.
On utilisation of funds by the North Eastern states, the Minister said the Centre had allocated Rs 700 crore for a multi-sectoral development in the region during the 11th Five Year Plan.
"Utilisation of funds here is very slow. We have had discussions with the Chief Minister. We urge the state governments to give priority and focus more on utilisation," he added.
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Watch: Akshay Kumar's impressive martial arts session with IPS officers!
- Vinod Kambli defends Salman Khan, advises Gautam Gambhir not to 'become so gam'
- Philippines` Aquino vows to `neutralise` Abu Sayyaf kidnappers
- JEE Main Result 2016 declared; check on cbseresults.nic.in, jeemain.nic.in
- Archery World Cup: Deepika Kumari equals world record in recurve event