Centre never misused its authority to arm twist allies: Narayanasamy
New Delhi: Rejecting allegation of abuse of CBI against coalition partners, the Government on Wednesday said it has never misused its authority to arm twist its alliance and the investigating agency has been functioning independently.
"This has been a political issue raised by various political parties. In our government, we have never, never misused our authority or position for the purpose of arm twisting any of our alliances. The CBI has been functioning independently," Minister of State for Personnel V Narayanasamy told reporters here.
During the last nine years of UPA rule, it has been proved that the reputation of CBI is intact, the minister said.
The Supreme Court and High Courts order CBI inquiry on any matters. The state governments demand CBI inquiries on matters whether it is ruling government states or opposition ruled states, he said.
"Therefore, the reputation and independent functioning of CBI is intact. For political consideration, they (political parties) would say," Narayanasamy, who is in-charge of the Ministry which acts as administrative department of the investigating agency.
He was responding on Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav`s remark of misuse of CBI by the Centre.
"Sarkar se ladna asan nahi hai. Sarkar ke hazaron haath hote hain. CBI ka upyog kar sakti hai...Jail me dal sakti hai" (It`s not easy to fight with the government. It has thousand hands and can use CBI and put one in jail)," Yadav had said earlier today.
The Centre had also come under attack over the CBI raids at the residential premises of DMK leader M K Stalin last month in connection with a case being probed by it.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram had disapproved of the timing of the March 21 CBI raids, conducted within two days after DMK pulled out support from the ruling UPA government at the Centre, at the Stalin`s house.
Narayanasamy had earlier clarified that the CBI action was not "targeted" at any individual.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion