Centre never misused its authority to arm twist allies: Narayanasamy
New Delhi: Rejecting allegation of abuse of CBI against coalition partners, the Government on Wednesday said it has never misused its authority to arm twist its alliance and the investigating agency has been functioning independently.
"This has been a political issue raised by various political parties. In our government, we have never, never misused our authority or position for the purpose of arm twisting any of our alliances. The CBI has been functioning independently," Minister of State for Personnel V Narayanasamy told reporters here.
During the last nine years of UPA rule, it has been proved that the reputation of CBI is intact, the minister said.
The Supreme Court and High Courts order CBI inquiry on any matters. The state governments demand CBI inquiries on matters whether it is ruling government states or opposition ruled states, he said.
"Therefore, the reputation and independent functioning of CBI is intact. For political consideration, they (political parties) would say," Narayanasamy, who is in-charge of the Ministry which acts as administrative department of the investigating agency.
He was responding on Samajwadi Party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav`s remark of misuse of CBI by the Centre.
"Sarkar se ladna asan nahi hai. Sarkar ke hazaron haath hote hain. CBI ka upyog kar sakti hai...Jail me dal sakti hai" (It`s not easy to fight with the government. It has thousand hands and can use CBI and put one in jail)," Yadav had said earlier today.
The Centre had also come under attack over the CBI raids at the residential premises of DMK leader M K Stalin last month in connection with a case being probed by it.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Finance Minister P Chidambaram had disapproved of the timing of the March 21 CBI raids, conducted within two days after DMK pulled out support from the ruling UPA government at the Centre, at the Stalin`s house.
Narayanasamy had earlier clarified that the CBI action was not "targeted" at any individual.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'