Centre opposes Natwar`s plea in apex court
New Delhi: The Centre today opposed in the
Supreme Court former External Affairs Minister Natwar Singh`s
plea seeking its direction to allow him to go through all the
documents relating to the United Nation`s "oil-for-food" scam
allegedly involving him and his son.
Solicitor General Gopal Subramaniam, appearing in the
apex court for the Centre, contended that the former union
minister cannot be allowed to inspect the 83,000-page
The Centre made the submission before the court which is
hearing the an appeal filed by the former minister challenging
the Delhi High Court order which had rejected his plea for
providing all the documents collected by the Centre to
proceed against him and his son Jagat Singh for their alleged
involvement in the same.
The government had maintained that it is not necessary to
provide all the documents and it has already provided the
minister those documents on the basis of which action has been
initiated by Enforcement Directorate in the scam.
The Delhi High Court had earlier rejected Natwar Singh`s
plea and said it is not illegal on the part of the government
not to provide all the documents.
The High Court had rejected Natwar Singh`s plea to allow
him to go through the volumnous documents collected by the
government in the scam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH