Centre pitting CBI against IB: Rajnath Singh
New Delhi: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) president Rajnath Singh on Thursday launched a scathing attack on the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government, alleging that the Centre was not serious about giving more autonomy to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
The BJP president went on to accuse the government of pitting the CBI and the Intelligence Bureau (IB) against each other.
"I want to tell the Congress that for their own political benefits they have put the CBI and IB against each other in the case," he said.
The statement of the BJP president concerns a recent development in connection with the Ishrat Jahan encounter case. Though the CBI has not named senior IB officer Rajendra Kumar in its first chargesheet, it has maintained that his role would be probed further.
Rajnath’s attack comes shortly after the Centre filed an affidavit on providing greater autonomy to the CBI. The affidavit was filed by the government on Wednesday, according to which, the CBI director will be appointed by a collegium comprising Prime Minister, Leader of Opposition and Chief Justice of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?