Centre planning to amend SC/ST Act: Report
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: With the 2014 lok Sabha polls just a few months away, the Congress-led UPA government is eyeing another populist legislation - amendments to the SC and ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act.
Reports on Wednesday said that the move will reinforce Congress` Dalit and tribal vote bank.
Last March, the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment had circulated a draft Cabinet note bringing in more offences and preventive measures under the Act, and promising speedy trial with enhanced punishment.
"Amendments would deliver members of SCs and STs a greater deal of justice and will also be an enhanced deterrent to the offenders," said the draft.
As per the 2011 Census, Scheduled Castes (SCs) form 16.2 per cent of India`s population and Scheduled Tribes (STs) 8.2 per cent. But in rural areas, the main vote bank of the Congress, they constitute 68 per cent of the population.
Sources said the ministry`s intent was to introduce the amendment Bill in the post-recess Budget Session (that started on April 22) but it was thwarted by the Opposition`s continued boycott. Now it would be introduced in the Monsoon Session, sources claim.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH