Centre plans network of all police stations: HM
Kannur: As part of modernising and improving
efficiency of police force, the Centre has decided to network
all the 14,000 police stations in the country, Union Minister
of State for Home Affairs Mullappally Ramachandran said on Sunday.
The project, being supervised by National Crime Records
Bureau, was finalised at a recent meeting of the DGPs and top
intelligence officials from the states. The Centre would
earmark Rs 2,000 crore under the 11th Five-Year Plan for the
programme, the minister told a Meet-the-Press programme here.
The programme -- Crime and Criminal Tracking Networking
System -- would help improve efficiency of police system and
provide it with comprehensive and scientific data to probe
He said the Centre has accorded top priority for
enhancing internal security in the wake of continued threat
"Despite exercising utmost vigilance in the aftermath of
the 26/11 Mumbai terror strikes, one cannot afford to presume
that the country is free from threats posed by the terrorists
and the Centre has taken stern steps as part of safeguarding
the internal security," Ramachandran said.
Stating that the country is vulnerable to terror strikes
through the 7,500 km long porous coastal line, Ramachandran
said Navy, Coast Guard and coastal police were maintaining
constant vigil to ward off any possible attack.
The Centre has already begun issuing coastal identity
cards to help detect unauthorised persons in coastal areas, he
Under a World Bank-funded Rs 400-crore project, cyclone
shelters would be set up in coastal belts.
Select coastal villages will have a multi-purpose hall at
a cost ranging between Rs 80 lakh and Rs one crore and the
first such unit in the country would be opened at Chemanchery
village in Kozhikode in the state on October 2, he said.
On the `anomalies` in Central compensation packages
during rain havoc and other natural calamities, he said the
issue could be resolved only if all the states impressed the
Planning Commission the need to have amendment in the existing
rules and regulations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly