Centre plans network of all police stations: HM
Kannur: As part of modernising and improving
efficiency of police force, the Centre has decided to network
all the 14,000 police stations in the country, Union Minister
of State for Home Affairs Mullappally Ramachandran said on Sunday.
The project, being supervised by National Crime Records
Bureau, was finalised at a recent meeting of the DGPs and top
intelligence officials from the states. The Centre would
earmark Rs 2,000 crore under the 11th Five-Year Plan for the
programme, the minister told a Meet-the-Press programme here.
The programme -- Crime and Criminal Tracking Networking
System -- would help improve efficiency of police system and
provide it with comprehensive and scientific data to probe
He said the Centre has accorded top priority for
enhancing internal security in the wake of continued threat
"Despite exercising utmost vigilance in the aftermath of
the 26/11 Mumbai terror strikes, one cannot afford to presume
that the country is free from threats posed by the terrorists
and the Centre has taken stern steps as part of safeguarding
the internal security," Ramachandran said.
Stating that the country is vulnerable to terror strikes
through the 7,500 km long porous coastal line, Ramachandran
said Navy, Coast Guard and coastal police were maintaining
constant vigil to ward off any possible attack.
The Centre has already begun issuing coastal identity
cards to help detect unauthorised persons in coastal areas, he
Under a World Bank-funded Rs 400-crore project, cyclone
shelters would be set up in coastal belts.
Select coastal villages will have a multi-purpose hall at
a cost ranging between Rs 80 lakh and Rs one crore and the
first such unit in the country would be opened at Chemanchery
village in Kozhikode in the state on October 2, he said.
On the `anomalies` in Central compensation packages
during rain havoc and other natural calamities, he said the
issue could be resolved only if all the states impressed the
Planning Commission the need to have amendment in the existing
rules and regulations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'