Centre ready to pass Lokpal Bill by consensus: Khurshid
Farukhabad: Union Law minister Salman Khurshid has said that the Centre was ready to pass the Lokpal Bill by consensus and was making all efforts in this regard.
"The Lokpal Bill cannot be passed through agitations...We are ready to pass the Bill by consensus and all efforts are being made in this regard...Anna Hazare is ignoring the fact that UPA did not have a majority in Rajya Sabha", Khurshid said talking to reporters here last evening after attending an `Iftar` function.
Claiming that allegations of Team Anna that the government was not serious on the Lokpal issue was not true, Khurshid said the government took it seriously and got the Bill passed in Lok Sabha.
About his secret meeting with Hazare, Khurshid said that in that meeting Hazare was informed about attempts made by the government on the Lokpal issue.
"It was his (Anna`s) proposal not to make public the agenda of their meeting and we accepted it. I had advised him to avoid agitation on the issue", he said.
Khurshid also praised Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav for getting the new statue of Mayawati installed in time after it was vandalised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional