Centre ready to pass Lokpal Bill by consensus: Khurshid
Farukhabad: Union Law minister Salman Khurshid has said that the Centre was ready to pass the Lokpal Bill by consensus and was making all efforts in this regard.
"The Lokpal Bill cannot be passed through agitations...We are ready to pass the Bill by consensus and all efforts are being made in this regard...Anna Hazare is ignoring the fact that UPA did not have a majority in Rajya Sabha", Khurshid said talking to reporters here last evening after attending an `Iftar` function.
Claiming that allegations of Team Anna that the government was not serious on the Lokpal issue was not true, Khurshid said the government took it seriously and got the Bill passed in Lok Sabha.
About his secret meeting with Hazare, Khurshid said that in that meeting Hazare was informed about attempts made by the government on the Lokpal issue.
"It was his (Anna`s) proposal not to make public the agenda of their meeting and we accepted it. I had advised him to avoid agitation on the issue", he said.
Khurshid also praised Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav for getting the new statue of Mayawati installed in time after it was vandalised.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened