Centre rejects drones for Assam`s national park
Guwahati: The central government has turned down the Assam government`s proposal for aerial surveillance of the Kaziranga National Park by drones, state Forest Minister Rockybul Hussain said on Wednesday.
Hussain added that the proposal had been turned down "due to military and security reasons". The Union Ministry of Environment and Forests had earlier cleared the proposal.
"We have received a letter from the Defence Ministry today informing us that the proposal had been turned down. However, we have requested the ministry to review the decision," said Hussain.
The proposal of using drones for aerial surveillance of the park was mooted in 2012 when the park registered a sudden spate in poaching of one-horned rhinos.
Union Minister of Environment and Forest Jayanti Natarajan, who visited the park last year, said she would approach the central government for sanctioning a drone for better aerial surveillance of the park.
0ver 20 rhinos were killed by poachers in Assam last year and 18 of them were killed in the Kaziranga National Park so far this year.
Hussain said two more rhino carcasses were recovered from near the national park Wednesday morning.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead