Centre releases Rs 6.28 crore for Amarnath Yatra
Jammu: The union ministry for health and family welfare has released Rs.6.28 crore to the Jammu and Kashmir government for developing adequate health-care infrastructure during Amarnath Yatra this year, a state minister said here Monday.
"Officials have been asked to ensure time-bound completion of necessary health-care infrastructure at designated points including two base camps at Pahalgam and Baltal, besides other camps enroute to the cave shrine," Minister of State for Health Shabir Ahmed Khan said.
He said that out of the total allocation of Rs.6.28 crore, Rs.1.95 crore have been sanctioned for purchase of pre-fabricated structures for setting up medical and emergency centres, while Rs.84 lakh would be spent on creating medical facilities at hospitals in Pahalgam and Baltal.
The minister added the union health ministry has also released Rs.54 lakh to provide incentives to medical professionals on duty during the pilgrimage.
Last year, over 100 people had died during the pilgrimage due to various health problems including cardiac arrest and other factors related to high altitude. The Amarnath cave shrine is located in south Kashmir mountains at a height of 13,500 feet.
This year`s pilgrimage will start June 28 from both Baltal and Pahalgam routes simultaneously, and culminate on Aug 21. The registration process of pilgrims will begin at 422 bank branches across the country March 18.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez