Centre seeks details from AAP on foreign funding
New Delhi: The central government Tuesday informed the Delhi High Court that it has sought detailed information from the AAP over allegations of receiving foreign funds, saying this was in violation of the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA).
Filing an affidavit before a bench of Acting Chief Justice BD Ahmed and Justice Siddharth Mridul, the centre said the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has only given details of account numbers and not the source of the funds.
The affidavit filed through advocate Sumeet Pushkarna said that while the AAP claims to have received Rs 30 crore from Indians living abroad, the actual details of the contributors were missing in the response filed by the party to the central government.
It said the AAP also did not provide details on the transactions in the bank accounts and how it utilised that amount.
A fresh notice has been sent to AAP by the central government seeking details on the transactions and utilisation of foreign funds received by it.
On March 12, the bench had sought response from the central government on a public interest litigation that alleged the AAP received foreign funds.
The AAP had earlier told the court that it was the only party whose financial records and other details were open for public view and got donations of Rs.30 crore from Indian citizens only, out of which Rs 8.5 crore came from NRIs.
Earlier, the court had directed the central government to go through details of the money donated to the AAP since its inception Nov 26, 2012 and to take action if anything was found in violation of the FCRA.
The plea named former Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal, advocates Shanti Bhushan and Prashant Bhushan and party member Manish Sisodia.
It said the AAP and its members were promoted and funded by the Central Intelligence Agency(CIA) of the US through various companies and trusts such as Ford Foundation.
The court will hear the matter May 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM