Centre seeks more from SC in Abu Salem case
New Delhi: India is in touch with Portuguese authorities to chalk out the next course of action in the Abu Salem case after the top court in Portugal upheld quashing of extradition of the gangster who was brought nearly seven years back, the Supreme Court was informed on Monday.
Appearing before a bench headed by Justice P Sathasivam, Attorney General G E Vahanwati sought more time to decide on the action after a Portuguese court terminated Salem`s extradition on the ground that India had violated the provisions of the extradition treaty.
The bench had earlier asked the CBI and the Ministry of External Affairs to file their replies to Salem`s plea for quashing criminal cases against him after termination of his extradition and also asked Attorney General to assist it in deciding the case.
Salem, currently lodged in Mumbai`s Arthur Road Jail, had filed the application in the apex court after the Portugal Supreme Court upheld the order of a lower court there.
At the time of Salem`s extradition, India had assured Portugal that no charges attracting death penalty or imprisonment of more than 25 years would be pressed against him, but such charges were later brought in.
Delhi and Mumbai Police had slapped charges which invoke death penalty against him leaving the government and the CBI red-faced.
Later, the police sought to withdraw those charges, but the Delhi High Court as well the Supreme Court did not allow it.
Salem then filed a petition in the high court at Lisbon,
alleging violationof extradition terms. In the ruling on September 19, last year, the Lisbon court said there had been a breach of the undertaking given by India.
Salem and his then companion, actress Monica Bedi, were extradited to India on November 11, 2005, after a marathon legal process lasting three years.
The apex court earlier on February 17 had stayed the TADA proceedings in two cases against the gangster observing that the order of Portugal court terminating his extradition to India has to be respected.
It, however, had refused to stay proceedings in other five cases and issued notices to the CBI and the Centre on Salem`s plea to quash all criminal cases against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!