Centre seeks report from Andaman on dance for food
New Delhi: The Home Ministry on Wednesday sought a
detailed report from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
administration on alleged exploitation of Jarawa tribals, who
were forced to dance before tourists in return for food.
The facts have been sought following media reports which
suggested that the women of the primitive tribes were made to
dance in front of the tourists, a Home Ministry official said.
The Ministry directed the local administration to find
out when the video was photographed, how come the primitive
tribals, who live in seclusion, came in contact with outsiders
and find out the people responsible for their exploitation.
The Home Ministry may take punitive action against people
responsible for the alleged act and if the reports are found
to be genuine.
The Andaman and Nicobar Islands administration, which
reports to the Union Home Ministry, has already termed the
reports as "highly irresponsible" and said it was not clear in
which year the video clip was recorded.
Home Minister P Chidambaram will undertake a two-day
visit to the group of islands beginning January 21 to take
stock of various development programmes being carried out
there by the Union Territory administration.
The issue of exploitation of Jarawa tribals is likely to
figure in the meetings Chidambaram will have with
administration officials and he may give directions to local
authorities to stop repeat of such incidents in future and
take corrective steps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next