Centre seeks report from Andaman on dance for food
New Delhi: The Home Ministry on Wednesday sought a
detailed report from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
administration on alleged exploitation of Jarawa tribals, who
were forced to dance before tourists in return for food.
The facts have been sought following media reports which
suggested that the women of the primitive tribes were made to
dance in front of the tourists, a Home Ministry official said.
The Ministry directed the local administration to find
out when the video was photographed, how come the primitive
tribals, who live in seclusion, came in contact with outsiders
and find out the people responsible for their exploitation.
The Home Ministry may take punitive action against people
responsible for the alleged act and if the reports are found
to be genuine.
The Andaman and Nicobar Islands administration, which
reports to the Union Home Ministry, has already termed the
reports as "highly irresponsible" and said it was not clear in
which year the video clip was recorded.
Home Minister P Chidambaram will undertake a two-day
visit to the group of islands beginning January 21 to take
stock of various development programmes being carried out
there by the Union Territory administration.
The issue of exploitation of Jarawa tribals is likely to
figure in the meetings Chidambaram will have with
administration officials and he may give directions to local
authorities to stop repeat of such incidents in future and
take corrective steps.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH