Centre should intervene in chit fund scam: Sushil Modi
Kolkata: BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi on Saturday expressed hope that West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee would protect defrauded investors in the Saradha Group scam and demanded that the Centre should intervene in chit fund irregularities.
"She is an honest lady and hard working. I hope she will do something," Modi, who is Bihar Deputy Chief Minister told reporters here.
Stating that both the Prime Minister and the finance minister should immediately intervene, he said "State laws are ineffective to deal with these companies which are raising money from the public under different garbs.
"Only the Centre with the help of RBI, SEBI, corporate affairs ministry and SFIO can deal with this problem and there is a need for a unified regulator," he said.
Asked about the alleged involvement of a few Trinamool Congress MPs in the Saradha Group scam, Modi said, "I am happy that not a single politician in Bihar is linked to these companies.
"If any party leader is involved, then action should be taken," Modi said.
Modi said a number of chit fund companies like Saradha, which are registered in West Bengal were operating in the districts of Bihar.
"Bihar has a law for the protection of small depositors` interest. But these companies are finding loopholes and are carrying out their illegal activities in the state," Modi said in reply to a question.
"These companies try to get associated with big things," he said, alleging one of them is a sponsor for an IPL team.
"This they do to gain credibility in the market which helps them to raise funds," he said.
He said that he had met SEBI chief U K Sinha recently and was assured that the regulator would take action.
Modi also said that the SFIO was seriously understaffed and it would take long time to complete probe of 73-odd companies the names of which had been referred to it.
He said that these firms should be asked to stop collecting money.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it