Centre should take action in Kargil scam: SC
New Delhi: "It cannot go on like this," the
Supreme Court tersely told the Centre on Monday while rapping it
for not taking action against officials allegedly involved in
the multi-crore scam in the purchase of defence equipments in
1999 Kargil operations.
"We do not want to be harsh with you in the case. We have
been accommodating but it cannot go like this," the bench
headed by Justice Aftab Alam told the government.
The court`s remarks came when senior advocate Rakesh
Dwivedi, assisting the court as amicus curiae, pointed out
that the government has failed to take action against anyone
during the last 12 years after the scam was unearthed.
"We are not happy at all (with Centre`s action)," the
Dwivedi submitted that there is lack of political will to
take action on the part of the government.
The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) in its report
has noted that there were many lapses in the purchase of
defence equipments to the tune of over Rs.2,000 crore.
The court, after holding a brief hearing in the case,
adjourned the matter for November 28.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway