Centre submits report on former CJI Balakrishnan
New Delhi: The centre on Monday submitted to the Supreme Court the status report of the probe into allegations that close relatives of former chief justice KG Balakrishnan had amassed huge wealth during his tenure.
An apex court bench headed by Chief Justice SH Kapadia was given the report in a sealed cover by Attorney General G Vahanvati, who sought three more weeks for further investigations.
He told the court that there was evidence of some payments being made and it had to be investigated why they were made.
The court is hearing a public suit seeking a probe into the wealth acquired by Balakrishnan`s son-in-law and brother during his tenure.
Balakrishnan currently heads the National Human Rights Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur