Centre takes serious view of irregularities in NREGA works
New Delhi: The Centre has taken a serious
view of irregularities which came to the fore after a social
audit of NREGA works in two districts of Uttar Pradesh.
The audit done by a member of Central Employment
Guarantee Council (CEGC), the key advisory body for the
government`s flagship job guarantee scheme stumbled upon
serious lapses in implementation of NREGA in Mahoba and Gonda
The report of CEGC member Sanjay Dikshit, who was the
first member of the council to carry out field visit for
social audit, has already been submitted to the ministry,
which is said to be mulling tough action in the matter.
Attending the second meeting of CEGC here today,
Dikshit is learnt to have sought tough action against the
erring officials there.
Rural Development Minister C P Joshi, who chaired the
meeting, is learnt to have assured the council that "action
will follow on the report", according to a member.
He said the report points out that tents worth Rs
50 lakh were purchased in Mahoba against the provisions of
NREGA. The report wondered how the 250 Gram Panchayats in the
district purchased the tent at same rate from the same shop
situated around 250 kilometers away from the district.
In one village, a husband and wife of one family were
given 425 days work. NREGA provides for a maximum of 100 days
work to one member of a family in one year, the report said,
according to the member.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends