`Centre, TN govt suppressing anti-nuke protests in Kudankulam`
New Delhi: The leader of anti-nuclear protests in Kudankulam on Sunday charged the Centre and the Tamil Nadu government with suppressing the struggle "only to support foreign countries" which want to sell nuclear reactors.
At a day-long All-India Left Coordination Convention activist SP Udaykumar demanded through video message the closure of the project.
"The central and state governments are ignoring our pleas ... To support the American, Russian and French nuclear projects in the country. We strongly demand the closure of Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant project and the government should scrap all nuclear power projects," he said.
"We do need development but not at the cost of putting the lives of millions of people at stake and destroying our natural resources," he said.
He accused the CPI and CPI(M) of supporting the Kudankulam project on one hand and opposing Jaitapur Nuclear Power Plant on the other.
At the convention, several leaders of various Left parties accused the UPA government of being "pro-corporate".
"The state is brazenly becoming pro-corporate and authoritarian," CPI National Secretary D Raja said.
Encouraging Left and democratic forces to work together keeping differences aside, Raja said, "Capitalist ideologies do not know how to overcome global crises ideologically and politically. Capitalism cannot be permanent, it has to be negated. It will be negated. The future lies in socialism."
The convention also opposed FDI in retail, price rise, subsidy cuts and wanted the UPA government to quit.
The AILC gave a call for Punjab Bandh on October 5, Parivartan Rally in Patna on November 9 and a two-day strike by central trade unions in February next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre