Centre to counter Naxals through development efforts
New Delhi: Notwithstanding repeated attacks by Maoists, the Centre has decided to counter ultras through its development efforts in Naxal-affected areas as it believes such efforts will weaken the Red base.
"We are making a special effort to bring development in the Naxal-affected areas. We are hoping that it will pay dividend," Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh told a news agency.
Ramesh`s contention comes just days after Naxalites planted a bomb inside the stomach of a dead CRPF jawan after killing 11 of them in Jharkhand`s Latehar district last week. They also stunned the nation by firing at an IAF helicopter in the dense Dantewada forests in Chhattisgarh, injuring one policeman onboard.
The government is particularly enthused by the recent revelation of a surrendered Naxal that its strategy to facilitate development in addition to frequent combing operations have hit the very base of the Maoists hiding in "liberated Red corridors" of the forests.
"We have made an effort... We have started special plans like Saranda Development Plans in such areas. It will take at least 5 years to bring peace in these areas," Ramesh said while reacting to surrendered Maoist Badarpu Mallaiyya`s reported revelation that the CPI Maoist leadership was worried over security operations and development efforts undertaken by government.
Saranda Development Plan is the government`s first systematic experiment in combining a security-oriented and development-focused approach in Maoist-affected areas on a large scale.
It was implemented after CRPF and the state police jointly "liberated" Saranda of West Singbhum district of Jharkhand in August, 2011 from 11 years of Maoist control.
Centre has now decided to replicate the model in other tribal-dominated areas in the country, said Ramesh, who has already travelled 40 Naxal-affected districts in the country to assess the implementation of development programmes.
Government initiatives like giving tribals the right to sell their forest products like bamboo have also started paying dividend, he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Bihar intermediate result 2015 (commerce) on biharboard.ac.in