Centre to discuss Naxal issue with CMs
New Delhi: The Centre will soon hold a
meeting of Chief Ministers of facing Left Wing extremism to
discuss the Supreme Court judgement on disarming of "Salwa
Judum" groups and see what impact it will have on the
Home Minister P Chidambaram told reporters here that
there were many parts of the judgement where there was no
controversy but there were "some areas of the judgements which
are to be read carefully, reflected upon carefully".
"I would have to discuss it with the Chief Ministers
concerned to see what impact it will have on the anti-Maoists
operations," he said.
The minister said he got a judgement copy late last
night and that he had not read it fully.
"I got a copy of the judgement very late last night. I
was reading the earlier judgement on black money then this
judgement came. I have not yet fully read the judgement. I
have read the operative portions of the judgement.
"There are a number of directions issued to the
Chhattisgarh government and they (the judges) have asked for a
compliance report from the Union government and the
Chhattisgarh government within a period of six weeks,"
The court had termed as "unconstitutional" the setting
up of vigilante groups like Salwa Judum and Koya Commandos and
and asked for disarming of Special Police Officers in the
fight against Maoists.
Chidambaram said that SPOs had been engaged in other
states, especially in northeast to fight insurgency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends