Centre to enact new Land Acquisition Bill: Moily
Bangalore: Against the backdrop of rising protests from farmers over acquisition of their land, the Centre has decided to bring in a new legislation governing the exercise with a focus on farmers` welfare, Law Minister M Veerappa Moily said on Saturday.
The Bill, being fine tuned currently, was expected to be introduced in the coming monsoon session of Parliament, he told reporters here.
"The focus of the new legislation would be on protecting the interests of farmers, their welfare and also on sustainable development. We need to balance farmers` welfare and sustainable development," Moily said.
The proposed law would also address issues concerning rehabilitation of farmers after acquisition of their lands.
Government was keen on passing the legislation in the next Parliament session as it cannot afford delay in the wake of conflicts over land acquisition increasing day by day, he said
when his attention was drawn to Rahul Gandhi`s padayatra in Uttar Pradesh where farmers have been protesting land acquisition by the Mayawati government.
Moily also referred to the recent protests in Karnataka and also land scams, allegedly involving some ministers in his home state.
"Farmers` interest will be fully protected", he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- LIC chairman S K Roy resigns two years before his term ends
- UEFA Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo rescues Portugal; Belgium seal last-16 berth in Zlatan Ibrahimovic's farewell
- Hello hotness! Deepika Padukone looks kickass in an all blue satin grace!
- Salman Khan ‘raped woman’ remark controversy: Actor evades media, refuses to say ‘sorry’ – Watch
- Amazing! Ahmedabad hotel made out of discarded containers set to woo customers