Centre to extend e-governance programme to 28 more cities
New Delhi: Getting birth certificates,
payment of utility bills and property tax will now be easier
in cities having a population of five lakh and above, with the
Centre deciding to extend its e-governance programme to such
The Urban Development Ministry`s National Mission Mode
Project (NMMP) on e-governance in municipalities aims at
improving operational efficiencies and promoting transparency
and accountability in delivery of eight different types of
So far, the project was limited to cities having a
population of 10 lakh and above.
Sources said the government has now decided to extend the
facility in all cities having a population of five lakh and
above with an aim to provide prompt service to the citizens.
The proposal is to extend the project to 28 more cities
having a population of 5 lakh and above apart from the present
65 cities with a population of 10 lakh and above.
"Ultimately, the aim is to cover all 423 towns with
population of over 1 lakh as per 2001 census. This will take
some time as the state governments too have to take the same
initiative," said an official.
Eight services are covered under e-governance which
include registration and issuance of birth certificate,
payment of property tax and utility bills, citizen grievances
and building plan approvals.
Procurements and monitoring of projects, health
programmes, including licenses and solid waste management,
accounting system and personal Information System are also a
part of the e-governance project. Information and service
delivery of all these would be available online and citizens
could avail the facilities at the click of a button.
In the beginning, NMMP on e-governance was implemented
in 35 cities having population of above 10 lakh as per 2001
census under JNNURM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal