Centre to help UP, Bihar in modernising thermal power plants
New Delhi: The Centre on Friday promised to help Uttar Pradesh and Bihar in renovation and modernisation of thermal power plants whose plant load factor (PLF) was low.
Minister of State for Power Bharatsinh Solanki told the Lok Sabha that the Centre desired that thermal power projects performed well, but it could modernise only those plants acquired by the National Thermal Power Corporation.
But if the plants were under joint venture between state government and private parties, then Centre`s intervention would not be possible due to finance and management issues, he said during Question Hour.
On power generation troubles in Bihar, Solanki said the Centre was providing power to the state under both allocated and unallocated quota.
He said the PLF of many old thermal power plants had improved after their renovation in the last four years.
The Central Electricity Authority (CEA) had prepared a national perspective plan for renovation and modernization till 2016-17, he said.
The CEA identified 53 thermal units (7,318 MW) for life extension works and 76 thermal units (18,965 MW) for renovation during 11th Plan and 72 thermal units (16,532 MW)
for life extension and 23 thermal units (4,971 M) for renovation during the 12th Plan, he said.
The government had estimated a cost of Rs 12,433 crore for life extension works of 23 thermal plants and Rs 4,487 crore for renovation and modernisation of 21 plants under 11th Plan, apart from Rs 28,868 crore for 32 thermal plants` life extension and another Rs 4,971 crore for renovation and modernisation of 8 thermal plants under the 12th Plan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video