Centre to monitor immunisation; to open call centre in Delhi
New Delhi: Noticing massive gaps in figures
provided by states on immunisation programme and the ground
reality, the government today said it will open a call centre
in the national capital to monitor the implementation.
"In the database, we shall have telephone numbers of
parents of children who will be given shots... In case parents
don`t have telephone then any other family member or some
contact number of the officials of village panchayat would be
mentioned to confirm if a child has been vaccinated," Health
and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said.
Answering questions in the Lok Sabha, he said the call
centre is being set up to ensure compulsory immunisation of
children and hoped to see results by next month. "This is a
new introduction and by next month we are going to get the
first result," he said.
On whether government plans to include anti-pneumonia
vaccination in its Universal Immunisation Programme, Azad said
two types of vaccines are available in the market but given
their cost its inclusion was not possible.
A vaccine for pneumonia costs Rs 100 and three doses are
required. While another patented vaccine is also available
costing Rs 3,800 and if three shots are given this would cost
about Rs 12,000 per person.
"If Rs 12,000 per person has to be provided, you can
imagine the budget of the government under UIP," he said.
Azad also said there is no single causative organism for
pneumonia and technically no single vaccine can prevent the
disease. However, pneumococcal and influenza vaccines are
available but currently not in the National Immunisation
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH