Centre to put out a White Paper on housing
New Delhi: The government is preparing a white paper that will bring out all the issues affecting supply and demand in the housing sector, a top official said here.
"Towns and cities are growing by default rather than by design. There needs to be a rethink on the land use issue and we are in the process of getting a white paper on the subject out," said Kiran Dhingra, Secretary, Ministry of Housing and Urban Poverty Alleviation.
The white paper would cover issues like inclusive growth in urban areas, real estate regulations, creation of new cities, tax incentives required to incentive both the developers as well as the buyers. It would be put in the public domain to elicit public comments.
Addressing a seminar on housing organised by the PHD chamber in the capital Thursday, she said India needs to change the town planning approach that is followed to tackle the ever increasing housing shortage in the country.
"We need to plan new towns and cities, not as satellites of existing ones but around employment hubs like industrial estates."
She added that a review of the urban land policy is being undertaken and urban development authorities need to tune themselves with the macro-economic policy adopted in the country post 1991.
The ministry is also formulating a housing start-up index (HSUI) in collaboration with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) for all urban areas, which will indicate the demand-supply gap as reflected in conversion of building permits into actual starts in all states.
"This is an important step as it will indicate the health of the housing sector. It will also be a good indicator of economic growth," Dhingra said.
She declined to specify the time frame in which both the white paper and HSUI will be out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly