Centre to set up cold storage facilities at 79 localities
Thanjavur: The Centre has planned to set up cold storage facility to avoid wastage of perishable foods such as vegetables and fruits at 79 localities across the country, Food Processing and Industries Secretary Rajesh Kakkar has said.
Out of these, eight have been already set up and the process of building facility is progressing in other places, he said on the sidelines of a seminar at the Indian Institute of Crop Processing Technology here yesterday.
Apart from setting up cold storage facilities, the Centre has also planned to set up Food Parks at 30 places, he said, adding that one such park would be set up in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
The food processing technology, if learnt by farmers, would help both farmers and consumers, he said. "It will ensure that the farm produce did not get spoiled and people got quality produce," he said.
He suggested that students should go into more research in the field of food processing so that food could be stored safely.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway