Centre to take up Rahul`s `security breach` issue with UP govt
New Delhi: The Centre is likely to take
up with the Uttar Pradesh government the issue of "security
breach" during Rahul Gandhi`s visit to Allahabad as initial
report suggested that police "failed" to control protesters
who tried to stop the SPG protectee`s car.
Home Ministry officials said prima facie it looks like
the local police personnel, who were deployed along Rahul`s
travel route, "failed" to control activists of Samajwadi
Party`s youth wing who tried to stop his car and clamber on to
the vehicle raising black flags.
After a detailed investigation by the Special
Protection Group (SPG), the Home Ministry will raise the issue
with the Uttar Pradesh government for appropriate action, they
The SPG had duly informed the local police about the
travel plan of the Congress leader, sources said.
The incident took place Monday evening when Gandhi was
on his way to Anand Bhavan, the ancestral house of the
Nehru-Gandhis, for overnight stay after an interaction at
engineering institute MNNIT.
As Rahul`s motorcade approached Anand Bhavan, a group
of SP youth wing activists, waving black flags and shouting
slogans against the leader, jumped in front of his vehicle.
Some of the protesters came dangerously close to
Rahul`s car before they were repulsed by the SPG personnel
guarding the Congress general secretary.
Yesterday, Deputy Inspector General of Police,
Allahabad, Ram Kumar, however, termed the reports of security
breach as "absolutely untrue".
"These reports are absolutely untrue. We have received
no complaints in this regard from the SPG team which has been
camping in the city for the past couple of days. We have been
working in close coordination with it," he said.
Security arrangements for Gandhi, who visits Uttar
Pradesh frequently, has often been a cause for spat between
the Centre and the state government which had accused the
former of not sharing enough inputs with the local police
during the leader`s tours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!