Centre told to extradite fugitive criminal to Oz
New Delhi: A Delhi court has asked the Centre to extradite an Indian national, accused of raping a girl in 2010 in the state of Victoria, to Australia to stand trial in the case.
The court asked the government to extradite fugitive criminal Jaswinder Singh Mutta, charged with the offence of raping a girl in Victoria in January 2010, to Australia after the accused said he has no objection to his extradition.
Mutta had surrendered before the police on January 5 this year at Moga in Punjab in pursuance to the warrant issued against him by the court here.
"I hereby recommend to Union of India the extradition of the fugitive criminal Jaswinder Singh Mutta to the requesting state ie Australia," said Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (ACMM) Amit Bansal.
The Australian High Commission here had written a letter on August 10, 2011 to the Ministry of External Affairs for the extradition of Mutta to Australia after which the government, through its counsel Naveen Kumar Matta, had approached the court.
According to the details provided by the Australian High Commission, Mutta has been charged with the offence of rape which is punishable upto 25 years imprisonment there.
Mutta had allegedly raped and assaulted a girl at Fitzroy North in the state of Victoria on January 17, 2010, said the documents attached with the extradition request.
After Mutta was produced before the court, he voluntarily stated that he has no objection if he is being extradited to Australia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’