Centre urged to release Binayak Sen
Puducherry: A joint meeting of human rights activists and delegates of civil liberties organisations on Sunday sought the Centre`s intervention for release of rights
campaigner Binayak Sen who has been sentenced to life for sedition.
A resolution adopted at the meeting, organised here by the People`s Union of Civil Liberties, said Sen had been fighting for the well-being of the scheduled tribes in Chhattisgarh and was facing several repressive measures.
But he had been charged with sedition and awarded life term by a Raipur court, it said.
"This is utterly unacceptable and the leader should be released unconditionally and the Centre should intervene in the matter," the meeting said.
A joint memorandum containing signatures of all those championing human rights would be sent to the President seeking the leader`s unconditional release.
An activist of the People`s Union of Civil Liberties, Sen was arrested on May 14, 2007 from Bilaspur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Britain wins Brexit breathing space at gloomy EU summit
- Turkish PM says first signs in Istanbul attack point to IS
- Flying kisses galore! Ranveer Singh – Deepika Padukone are very much in love – Watch
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016