Centre very serious about Haryana rape cases: Shinde
Jammu: The Centre has taken a "very serious" note of the series of rape cases in Haryana, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Friday said even as the state reported the 17th such incident within a month.
"The Centre is in touch with the state government on the issue ... It is a serious matter," he told reporters on International Border (IB) at Octroi border post, nearly 50 km from here.
"This is a very serious matter, particularly concerning Dalit people. This has been done (with Dalit girls) - so we are very serious on this", he said.
Shinde also said he would take up the issue of security of sarpanches and panches in Jammu and Kashmir with Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
"I will talk to the Chief Minister in a meeting in Srinagar tomorrow. The Unified Command meeting is being held tomorrow," he said.
The Home Minister reviewed the security situation and cross border infiltration along the Line of Control (LoC) in Poonch`s Chakan-Da-Bagh forward area and IB in Suchetgarh sector of Jammu district.
Replying to questions on attempts being made to revive militancy in Punjab and subsequent attack on Gen Brar, he said, "after all it is to be looked up by the state and I do not want to disturb the relations between state and the Centre."
"If militancy is revived, the country will suffer economic loss," he said.
Referring to cross-LoC trade, he said it was going on smoothly after a very good start.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab