Centre very serious about Haryana rape cases: Shinde
Jammu: The Centre has taken a "very serious" note of the series of rape cases in Haryana, Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Friday said even as the state reported the 17th such incident within a month.
"The Centre is in touch with the state government on the issue ... It is a serious matter," he told reporters on International Border (IB) at Octroi border post, nearly 50 km from here.
"This is a very serious matter, particularly concerning Dalit people. This has been done (with Dalit girls) - so we are very serious on this", he said.
Shinde also said he would take up the issue of security of sarpanches and panches in Jammu and Kashmir with Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
"I will talk to the Chief Minister in a meeting in Srinagar tomorrow. The Unified Command meeting is being held tomorrow," he said.
The Home Minister reviewed the security situation and cross border infiltration along the Line of Control (LoC) in Poonch`s Chakan-Da-Bagh forward area and IB in Suchetgarh sector of Jammu district.
Replying to questions on attempts being made to revive militancy in Punjab and subsequent attack on Gen Brar, he said, "after all it is to be looked up by the state and I do not want to disturb the relations between state and the Centre."
"If militancy is revived, the country will suffer economic loss," he said.
Referring to cross-LoC trade, he said it was going on smoothly after a very good start.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof