Centre wants PMEYSA resulted-oriented
New Delhi: The Centre is considering modification of a scheme meant for the empowerment of elected women and youth representatives in Panchayati Raj Institutions
to make it "more robust and result-oriented".
"Taking into account the achievement and pitfalls after the introduction of PMEYSA, the ministry is considering modifying the scheme to make it more robust and result
oriented," sources in the Panchayati Raj Ministry said.
Ministry held consultations with the states recently on
modifying the scheme, which is being implemented in 25 states
and Union Territories, and asked them to give "specific
suggestions", sources added.
Panchayat Mahila Evam Yuva Shakti Abhiyan (PMEYSA) was
launched in the 11th Five Year Plan (2007-12) for empowerment
of elected women and youth representatives "in a systematic
and programmatic manner".
The objective of the scheme is to knit the elected women
in a network and empower them through group action so that
both their participation and representation on local
It also seeks to get the elected women over the
"institutional, societal and political" constraints that
prevent them from active participation in governance.
However, there are reports that many elected women were
still "hesitant and tentative" in rising to the occasion, the
"Often, the men of the village do not accord them the
respect and regard that is their due. Officials take advantage
of their inexperience and poor education," they added.
Moreover, the ministry has also received complaints that
in many cases spouses or male relatives of such women act as
de-facto Pradhans or Pramuks and interfere in the functioning
of Panchayati Raj Institutions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad