Centre warns of appropriate action if VK Singh found guilty
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Reports of misuse of secret funds by former Indian Army chief General VK Singh are "under the active consideration of the government" and appropriate action would be initiated against the guilty, Information and Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari Friday said on Friday.
"These (newspaper reports) are under the active consideration of the government," Tewari told reporters here.
"If at all any wrongdoing is found against any serving or retired officers, appropriate action would be initiated by the government," he said.
Sources said that the government has taken serious note of the report of a Board of Inquiry into the functioning of Technical Services Division (TSD) alleging misuse of position by Gen Singh and is likely to order a CBI probe into the matter soon.
Addressing a press briefing, the I&B Minister said, "The facts brought out in the report are "extremely sensitive". The government has also put in place measures to ensure that there is never ever a repeat of some of the things which have allegedly been mentioned in the report."
It has been alleged that the TSD illegally tapped phones of senior Defence Ministry officials. The Army report, which was submitted to the Defence Ministry recently, has recommended a probe into the functioning of the intelligence unit, sources said here.
A newspaper quoting the report said Gen Singh had misused the secret service funds to destabilise the Omar Abdullah government in Jammu and Kashmir, to pay off an NGO to try change the line of succession in the Army top brass, to buy off-air interception equipment and to conduct "unauthorised" covert operations.
Replying to a question on possible action against the retired army chief and his team involved in this matter, Tewari said this is not a question of being individual- specific but it is more of a systemic and structural issue "wherein there are alleged actions which impinge upon the larger ambit of national security".
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- Turkish military, US-led coalition launch major operation in northern Syria - officials
- US condemns North Korea missile test-fire, calls it 'provocation'
- Naxal killed in encounter in Chhattisgarh's Sukma
- Film with Shah Rukh Khan at very premature stage: Kangana Ranaut
- Jio Preview Offer available on Panasonic 4G VoLTE smartphones