Centre working on special package for backward states
New Delhi: The Centre is working on a special economic package for backward states including Bihar but virtually ruled out special status for the state.
Official sources said a package is being worked under which criteria for backwardness of a state are being framed.
Under these criteria, besides Bihar a number of other states like Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand and parts of Rajasthan would also qualify for aid from the Centre.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar who has been campaigning for special status for his state held a `rights rally` here last week to press his demand.
He had also met Finance Minister P Chidambaram last week to press his claim with the Centre.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler