Centre working on special package for backward states
New Delhi: The Centre is working on a special economic package for backward states including Bihar but virtually ruled out special status for the state.
Official sources said a package is being worked under which criteria for backwardness of a state are being framed.
Under these criteria, besides Bihar a number of other states like Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand and parts of Rajasthan would also qualify for aid from the Centre.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar who has been campaigning for special status for his state held a `rights rally` here last week to press his demand.
He had also met Finance Minister P Chidambaram last week to press his claim with the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!