Centre working on special package for backward states
New Delhi: The Centre is working on a special economic package for backward states including Bihar but virtually ruled out special status for the state.
Official sources said a package is being worked under which criteria for backwardness of a state are being framed.
Under these criteria, besides Bihar a number of other states like Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand and parts of Rajasthan would also qualify for aid from the Centre.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar who has been campaigning for special status for his state held a `rights rally` here last week to press his demand.
He had also met Finance Minister P Chidambaram last week to press his claim with the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?