Centre working on special package for backward states
New Delhi: The Centre is working on a special economic package for backward states including Bihar but virtually ruled out special status for the state.
Official sources said a package is being worked under which criteria for backwardness of a state are being framed.
Under these criteria, besides Bihar a number of other states like Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Uttarakhand and parts of Rajasthan would also qualify for aid from the Centre.
Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar who has been campaigning for special status for his state held a `rights rally` here last week to press his demand.
He had also met Finance Minister P Chidambaram last week to press his claim with the Centre.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clinton attacks Trump's outreach to black voters in new ad
- Colombia ceasefire will not stop government fighting crime: Official
- Amazon dabbling with 30-hour work weeks: Report
- Enrique's fan hid in dressing room for 12 hours
- Scorpene submarine data leak: 'Whistleblower' to hand over disk to 'government'