Centre worried only about `nephews and uncles`: Modi
Devda: Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday slammed the Union government for allegedly ignoring the state government`s demand about construction of gates at Sardar Sarovar Narmada dam, and said the Centre was only concerned about "nephews and uncles".
"I alongwith our (BJP) leaders like Parsottam Rupala and LK Advani have urged the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh nearly 25 times, seeking Centre`s permission to construct gates at Sardar Sarovar dam, but he does not pay any attention," Modi said while addressing a large gathering at Devda town, about 75 km from Rajkot.
The town is situated in the Saurashtra region which is facing an acute water scarcity.
"If gates are installed, the water problem of Maharashtra too will be solved. But Congress is not concerned about its own-ruled states as well. They are only worried about nephews, uncles...See how nephews have also jumped into the game," Modi said, in an apparent reference to the current bribery scandal involving the nephew of Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal.
Modi was speaking at `Saurashtra Narmada Jal Avtaran Maha yagna` near Bhadar dam, organised by Saurashtra Jaldhara Trust.
"I also assured the Prime Minister that gates would not be operated if the Centre wants, but despite it he does not allow us to construct gates," he said.
The chief minister also said the construction of Kalpasar project would start soon as 80 per cent work on feasibility report was complete. "Once the project is operational, Saurashtra will not have water shortage for the next hundred years," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday