Centre`s affidavit in SC makes no mention of free foodgrains
New Delhi: The Centre on Thursday appeared
unwilling to commit to free distribution of foodgrains to the
poor saying it was already allocating grains "at highly
subsidised prices" under the targetted public distribution
system (PDS) and various other welfare schemes.
In an affidavit filed before a Bench of Justices Dalveer
Bhandari and Deepak Verma, the government said it was awaiting
inputs from the National Advisory Council (NAC) for revising
the list of BPL beneficiaries to provide them the benefit
under the National Food Security Act.
"It is respectfully submitted that the Department of Food
& Public Distribution is allocating foodgrains at highly
subsidized prices under the targetted public distribution
system (TDPS) and other welfare schemes.
"TPDS introduced in June 1997 itself was a conscious
effort of the central government to ensure food security to
the most vulnerable sections of the society," the affidavit
said without giving a direct answer to the apex court`s
earlier order for free distribution of foodgrains to the poor
instead of allowing it to rot in godowns.
The Bench had earlier asked the government to
distribute foodgrains free of cost to the hungry and
subsequently clarified that it was an order and not a
suggestion as was made out by Union Agriculture Minister
However, subsequently Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said
courts should not interfere in policy matters.
According to the Centre, as a consequence of the
various welfare steps taken by it allocation of foodgrains to
the BPL including the AAY(Antodaya Anna Yojana) families has
increased from 71.17 lakh tonnes in 1998-99 to 276.78 lakh
tonnes in 2010-11.
The total allocation under various other schemes like
mid-day meals, wheat-based nutrition programmes was Rs 579.28
lakh tonnes, it said.
The Centre also said that as per the 2010 figures the
addition to BPL families was only 1.17 crore families to the
existing 6.52 crore families and not seven crores as
claimed by the rights group PUCL.
The PUCL had alleged many states were not getting
adequate stocks for distribution through PDS as the Centre was
allocating only a limited stock.
According to the organisation, apart from 22
million tonnes of buffer stock at present, the Centre has an
additional 33 million tonnes of foodgrains in its godowns but
was allocating only a meagre 2.5 million tonnes for PDS.
The apex court, while taking on record the Centre`s
affidavit, asked PUCL to file its counter affidavit and posted
the matter for further hearing to December 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi