Centre`s intervention sought for release of Indian workers captivated in Saudi Arabia
New Delhi: A JD(U) MP on Saturday demanded central government`s intervention for the release of 40 Indian workers, who have been put behind bars in Saudi Arabia allegedly for protesting against the death of a youth while working in a private construction company there.
JD(U) MP Ali Anwar Ansari made the appeal to the government after the family members of the jailed Indian workers today met him here and submitted a memorandum to him.
According to the memorandum submitted to the MP, 40 Indian workers had been put behind bars allegedly after they held a protest when a co-worker, Haroon Rashid (24), also from India, died of electrocution while working in a private construction company there on June 12.
Family members of Rashid, whose younger brother has also been jailed, had earlier filed a memorandum to several ministers and informed the Embassy of Riyad, but they did not get any reply from them, the memorandum claimed.
"We have sent communication to several ministers and also informed the embassy. Though I have reminded them two times, I have not received any reply from the authority till date," Rashid`s father Mustaq Alam said.
Among the detained, 22 workers are from Bihar, 12 from Rajasthan, 4 from Uttar Pradesh and the rest two, each from Andhra Pradesh and Jharkhand.
The company did not inform the parents or the relatives regarding the arrest of these 40 workers, they claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it